Feb 20, 2016

I actually didn't sell my last trailer, I just forgot where I parked it.

It is February and Jack and I took a walk today. Without hats, scarves, or coats. It was glorious! It also proved to be a pit terrifying since I set a goal to begin building my house this spring. This involves taking the first major step of this process, buying the trailer. These wheels are the foundation of the home, making it an extremely crucial purchase and it can also be the most expensive purchase. Needless to say I am freaking out a bit and have self prescribed binge watching Parks and Rec to keep calm.


1. First, there is the style and length of trailer to consider . This is one of the few choices I am 99% sure about. 24ft seems to be the longest length that doesn't jump the price too high. For the style, I am leaning toward the 'low-wider' design. This has the bed of the trailer being cut into by the wheel wells, which gives you maximum width and height. As a human being, I reserve the right to change my mind on this multiple times.

courtesy Tumbleweed Tiny Homes

2. While the first tiny houses were surely built on tweaked utility trailers, I am not handy enough to go that route. Also, quite a few companies have sprung up offering trailers specifically for building a house on. Like any major purchase, you have to do your research on the product. Knowing absolutely nothing about trailers, road regulations, weight limits turns out to be extremely unhelpful.

3. Tying into my choice of builder is their location. Though there are a plethora of tiny trailer builders across the country, none reside in Pittsburgh. At this time the closest one I have found is 3 hours away. The delivery fee is $600. For perspective, that is more than half a paycheck for me. Or I could tow it myself with my Kia Rio! No, I'd rent a truck. I don't think my Kia could tow...anything. At the moment I am waiting to hear from two companies about locations for dealers. Fingers crossed there is one in my backyard I was unaware of because of my Parks and Rec addiction.

4. MONEY. Most of the companies I am researching offer financing, I was hoping to purchase my trailer up front. Currently I have almost $3,000 saved, for my whole build. Even with using recycled materials I can't build a house on that. A fellow tiny builder mentioned she didn't want handouts and is working multiple jobs to build her home. I admire her tenacity, but I will gladly take any and all handouts. Those that don't know, I work in animal rescue. A very rewarding but low paying and exhausting profession. Part of my reasoning for building a tiny house is to allow me to stay in this profession. So if you want to throw stacks of cash at me, check out the link to my Crowdfunder to the right. BUT, I am not just asking for something for nothing. I am in the process of trolling people for art commissions. More on that later with lots of pretty pictures.

Maybe by my next post some of these problems will have solutions. Until then, I shall keep repeating my mantra...
via Paper Love Songs