Dec 30, 2014

Don't Stair at Me

One of the quintessential aspects of a tiny house design is the use of vertical space. Most designs have a loft area that acts as a bedroom. And since an average staircase would take up almost half a tiny home, ladders are frequently used. But as anyone who has been with me for a single minute knows, I plan on sharing my home with at least one furry companion- cat, dog, maybe one of each. Most quadrupeds aren't great with ladders. I'm not good with ladders either, and they scare me. Not scared of heights, just ladders.
Thankfully, I am not the only one adverse to vertical death traps. There are multiple designs for tiny house stairs. Some are just as compact as possible to save space, others utilize the space taken up to create storage.



I'm currently leaning toward a variation of the design the Wilsons used in their home. Custom designed for their house "Lucy", you can see how they did it on their blog DIY House Building. I like that this design gives you a full closets since I hang most of my clothes.

Storage Stairs in Lucy